Have you experience…
➡ Sudden, throbbing pain in your joints when going up the stairs?
➡ Joints crack & pop easily?
➡ Could it be Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a progressive joint disease due to failure in repair of joint damage.
Usually affects joints in the fingers, hands, hips and knees. Inflamed joints will initially be painful, followed by swelling.
Due to pain and swelling, the mobility of joints is restricted.
With ongoing movement, comes excruciating pain, which becomes unbearable even on mild touch in the form of tenderness.
This disease may involve 1 or multiple joints.
A Singaporean healthy survey shows individuals as young as 18 years has long-term joint problem.
10% - 20% of Malaysian elderly are affected by knee Osteoarthritis.
In Southeast Asia, 29.5% of those aged 25 yrs & older have hand Osteoarthritis.
Asian women have higher Osteoarthritis risk than men.
Is pain-relief drugs the only solution?
- Foo et al. 2017, “Knee pain & Functional Disability of Knee Osteoarthritis Patients seen at Malaysian Government Hospitals”, Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences, vol. 13 (2), pp. 7 – 15.
- Nguyen et al. 2014, “Osteoarthritis in Southeast Asia”, International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 9 (5), pp 405 – 408.
- Klein G, Kullich W,Schnitker J, Schwann H 2006, "Efficacy and tolerance of an oral enzyme combination in painful osteoarthritis of the hip. A double-blind, randomised study comparing oral enzymes with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs", Clinical Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 24(1), pp. 25 - 30.
- Rathnavelu et al.2016, "Potential Role of Bromelain in Clinical & Therapeutic Applications (Review)", Biomedical Reports 5, pp. 283 - 288.
- Sengupta K, Alluri KV, Satish AR, et al. 2008, " A double blind, randomized, placebo controlled study of the efficacy and safety of 5-LOXIN for treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee", Arthritis Research Therapy, vol. 10(4):R85.
- Tan Tock Seng Hospital 2011. "Young People get Osteoarthritis too", https://www.ttsh.com.sg/about-us/newsroom/news/article.aspx?id-2316.
This information is provided by Groway for education purposes only. It should not be used to substitute medical diagnosis.